This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we may get a commission, at no cost to you. Printables on this site are for personal use only. You may not alter them or redistribute them for monetary gain without written consent from the author, The Money Skim.DISCLAIMER FOR MORE INFO.
You’ve probably already got a smartphone. Because you are already pretty tech-savvy why not also get a smart home?
When we think of Smart homes we usually think of it associated with security systems, maybe even with smart learning thermostats like Google Nest, which allow you to control heating and cooling in your home with your phone. Did you know that you can additionally use smart home tech for so many other ideas — some ideas to look into are check for carbon monoxide and dioxide, turn on and adjust the lights, play your favorite music just by asking, and much, much more.
Firstly, it would be nice to be able to have a custom smart home built from the ground up, but that is just beyond expensive. However, we can and we will just help you get your home wired an easy and affordable way.
If you are curious about making your house a little smarter and easier to keep tabs on, here are some of the best smart home devices, as recommended by technology experts.
Best Smart Home Assistants
- Includes Echo Show 8 and Amazon Smart Plug everything you need to start your smart home.
- Alexa can show you more with an 8″ HD screen and stereo sound. Alexa can help manage your day at a glance.
- Be entertained. Ask Alexa to show you movie trailers, TV shows, movies, or the news. Or listen to radio stations, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Connect with video calling and messaging. Call friends and family who have the Alexa app or an Echo device with a screen. Make announcements to other devices in your home.
- Control your smart home. Voice control compatible devices or manage them on the easy-to-use display. Ask Alexa to show you security cameras, control lights, and adjust thermostats.
- Make it yours. Show off your albums from Amazon Photos. Customize your home screen. Create morning routines to start your day.
- Designed to protect your privacy. Electronically disconnect the microphones and camera with one press of a button. Slide the built-in shutter to cover the camera.
Samsung SmartThings Hub: $74.99
- Wirelessly connect and control a wide range of compatible smart devices from 40+ partner brands. This includes voice assistants, lights & switches, speakers, cameras, sensors, and more
- Teach the hub your Good Morning, Goodbye, Goodnight, and other routines to automatically turn devices on or off throughout the day
- Receive app alerts from connected devices when there’s unexpected activity in your home. Range (Ft.) – 50-130 feet
- Use voice commands to control connected devices using SmartThings and the Google Assistant
- Improved guided onboarding for easier setup. However, Hub connects with Wi-Fi so it does not need to be connected to an Ethernet cable
- Compatible with previous versions of SmartThings Sensors and Outlets.
- Firstly, download the new SmartThings (Samsung Connect) app for the initial set-up. Secondly, you can still use the SmartThings Classic app once the initial set up is completed).
Best Smart Lights & Smart Speaker Combo
- Includes Power Supply: Connect up to 3 Hue Plays on 1 Power Supply unit. Requires the Hue Hub (sold separately, Model 458471). Search ‘Philips Hue Hub’ or ‘B016H0QZ7I’ to find this product on Amazon.
- The Philips Hue White & Color Ambiance Bar Light can be controlled using your voice when you have Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant-Enabled. However, Philips Hue Smart lights can also be paired for home automation with your existing Nest products or Samsung SmartThings system
- Enhance your Smart Home with the Philips Hue Play. The design is aesthetically pleasing and will adapt well to any living room setup. Let your Smart light stand on your cabinet to create a pleasant ambiance. Mount it on the back of your TV or even lay it flat on the floor to brighten your walls from floor to ceiling
- Create the most beautiful backlight for your television. Therefore, just mount Philips Hue Play behind your screen using the clips and double-sided tape included in the pack. Enhance your viewing experience with splashes of light surrounding your television
- Connect not only 1, but up to 3 Hue Plays to the same Power Supply unit, leaving enough room for other devices. With each additional Hue Play, your Smart Lighting Experience becomes even more immersive. This base kit Includes 1 Power Supply
- The Philips Hue Play requires the Hue Hub (sold separately) for the full Smart Lighting experience. Lifetime up to 25,000 hour(s). Input Voltage: 230 V AC, 120 V AC
- Fill any room with impressive wall to wall stereo sound from a single speaker
- Built-in voice assistants, like Alexa and the Google Assistant, with superior voice pickup from a noise rejecting eight microphone Array.
- With Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple Airplay 2 compatibility, you can wirelessly stream whatever you want, however, you want.
- Play integrated Wi-Fi services like Spotify, music, and audible or connect over Bluetooth to play anything from your phone or tablet.
- Experience superior voice pickup from a custom-designed eight microphone Array that hears you over loud music or across the room.
- Control comes easy, with three different ways to manage what you hear: voice, tap the top controls, or the Bose Music app.
- Works with other Bose smart speakers and soundbars for a multi-room listening experience.
Best Smart Speaker
Sonos Move: $399
- All-new Sonos Move. Get brilliant sound anywhere with the all-new Sonos Move. The durable, battery-powered smart speaker for outdoor and indoor listening.
- Easy to use. As a result, setup takes minutes, and control is simple with the Sonos app, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2, and your voice. Charging base power supply Input: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz, 1.2A; Output: 18VDC, 2.5A
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Stream over Wi-Fi and connect Move to the rest of your Sonos system at home. However, switch to Bluetooth when you’re away and offline.
- Amazon Alexa is built right in Wi-Fi as a result you can play music, check the news, set alarms, get your questions answered, and more, completely hands-free.
- Most importantly, experience surprisingly deep bass, a wide soundscape, and automatic true-play tuning. It perfectly balances the sound for where you are and what you’re listening to.
- Enjoy up to 10 hours of continuous playtime and deep, powerful sound. Easily recharge Move on the included base or a compatible USB-C charger.
- Above all Move stands up to humidity, rain, snow, dust, salt spray, UV rays, and extreme heat and cold.
- Ultra-durable. Don’t worry about accidental drops or bumps. Move’s components are protected by a hard-wearing, shock-resistant case.
Best Router for Smart Homes
- Two-In-One Smart Home Solution. Samsung ET-WV525KWEGUS performs as a mesh router and SmartThings Hub. It connects and controls 100+ compatible devices, including cameras, lights, speakers, doorbells, and more.
- Whole-Home Coverage. A pack of 3 mesh routers provides up to 4,500 square feet of secure, stable WiFi for larger-sized homes. Add up to 32 routers if additional coverage is needed; SmartThings Wifi uses multiple access points.
- AI-Based Home WiFi. Powered by Plume, SmartThings WiFi learns and adapts to your environment so it can optimize performance for a powerful, reliable WiFi experience.
- One App Controls It All so you can see what’s connected, prioritize devices, create network access for guests, set up parental controls, set schedules, and more, all from your smartphone.
- Content & Security. Use content filtering to manage what kids and teens can access. Turn on Secure and Protect for added security.
- Simple Set-Up. Download the SmartThings app and follow easy instructions to get your new network running in minutes. It will recognize all of your devices, identify the flow of traffic, and begin optimizing immediately.
- Compatibility so it works with past versions of SmartThings Sensors & Outlets. Not compatible with Samsung Connect Home models ET-WV520KWEGUS, ET-WV520BWEGUS & ET-WV530BWEGUS.
Best Smart Home Garage Door
- New free in-garage delivery with key by amazon. Prime members in select areas can opt-in with the myQ smart garage hub to get Amazon packages securely delivered right inside their garage, simply link your myQ account in the Key app.
- Get $30 Amazon credit after your first key by Amazon in-garage delivery. Key by Amazon promotion applies to eligible Amazon Prime members. In-garage delivery not available in all areas. Full terms & conditions at amazon.com/keyget30.
- Smart garage control open and close your garage door from anywhere with your smartphone through the myQ App.
- Universal therefore easy-to-add functionality to upgrade your existing garage door opener. Works with all major brands of garage door openers made after 1993 that have standard safety sensors.
- Requirements needed to start are a router with 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi frequency, the router with 802.11 B/G/N, a router within 50 feet of the myQ Smart Garage Hub.
- Simple setup. Wireless installation with easy step by step instructions provided in the myQ App so you’ll be able to enjoy smart garage control in minutes.
- Guest access available so securely invite up to three people to control your garage with the myQ guest feature.
Smart Home Smoke Detector
- Enables quick and easy installation of an interconnected smoke alarm system without messy wiring or labor. Temperature Range: 40 degrees Fahrenheit to 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When one alarm sounds, they all do because wireless technology uses radio frequency to both transmit and receive messages about a hazard in the home.
- Battery power enables homeowners to install interconnected alarms without rewiring.
- The smart touch button quickly and temporarily silences nuisance alarms.
- A wireless alarm can be installed in a detached workshop or shed. Humidity Range-up to 85% relative humidity (RH).
- Low Battery Indicator, as a result, the smoke alarm will chirp in the event of a low battery.